Thursday, September 26, 2019

Old Grey Knight and new Brother-Captain

I just received this ancient hunk of pewter in the mail today. I saw him on eBay for $10 and I couldn't pass him up. This is a Grey Knight from the Rogue Trader era. The little tab connected to his feet says 'GAMESWORKSHOP 1989."

"I am so psychic that I don't even need eyeslits in my helmet."
Look at how big his sword is! And that ridiculous shield on his shoulder! It is so big! Too big for a shoulder shield. So silly. All of my Grey Knights have shoulder shields. I just realized I don't know what those are called. I want to say "tilt shield," but a quick google tells me that that isn't a real thing.

...

Okay, looks like it is called an encranche, and it's a small shield made for jousting. My GKs don't do a ton of coordinated mounted combat, so I'm not sure why everyone has these. Probably just to proudly showcase their awesome heraldry. This pewter duder's encranche is huge so he's gonna have some beautiful heraldry on there.

I put together another Brother-Captain this afternoon. The internet tells me that BroCaps are essential for any Grey Knights list, and while I don't see their reasoning I do tend to believe everything they say. I don't so much love my previous model because of how I fucked up one of his arms, and I wondered if that's why I'm not running him as much. If a model of mine doesn't look good, I don't field it. That's just kind of my rule.


I picked up that Deathwing Terminators box I mentioned in a previous post. The bits in there are so rad, and I put together so many Terminators that I know I'll make good use out of it. The first thing I noticed was a big sword that is being held in non-combat stance, with the fingers resting on the grip. I thought having my BroCap standing stoic and calm would distinguish him from the troops around him. Unfortunately, after cutting that sword from the sprue I realized it has some significant Dark Angles symbols on it.

Image result for deathwing terminator sword
Also it looks kind of like a weird penis.
Replacing the tip of that sword felt like more work than I wanted to put into this conversion, and I knew I had a Dark Angels Primaris upgrade sprue somewhere in my hobby stuff that had a similar sword. I dug it out and decided it looked much better--however, it was made for a left hand.

This left me with two problems. First, the storm bolter covers the left wrist and would make fitting the left hand sword difficult. No big deal on that one. I just tested GK Termie arms until I found one that was angled appropriately.

The second problem is that there are exactly zero Terminator right hands that are not holding weapons. None. I challenge you to find one. They all have swords, or storm bolters, or anything like that. I have sprues and sprues of Power Armor hands but those are all too small. I could have cut the sword free from a Nemesis Force Sword hand, but that felt like a monstrous waste of a cool model bit. So instead I rummaged through my bin again to find an old Dreadknight sprue from my GMNDK conversion a while back. And behold! I discovered a Grey Knight right hand with no weapons.

Image result for dreadknight pilot arm
Credit: random bitz site
I nabbed that and plucked the control thing from the fingers before gluing it to its new owner. Thus the BroCap has a neutral pose with no weapons in his right hand. Also a cool cape! Thanks Deathwing box.


No comments:

Post a Comment