Thursday, October 24, 2019

Finished Brother-Captain


Finished up this Brother-Captain that I've been working on. It's been a little while since I've fully completed a miniature, so it's really nice to just be able to look at him and see that he's done. I'm hoping this will inspire me to paint more in the near future. I really like how this guy turned out.

The force sword turned out okay, I think. The transition of the blues isn't super smooth, but it could look worse. I'm very pleased with how the red and white of his encranche turned out. Much smoother than I usually do.

I should have thinned down the Guilliman glaze around his eyes a little more. The glowing effect is too strong, and actually makes the eyes themselves look darker somehow.

Cygor Brown was used in the recesses of the cape.

I tried using some Contrast paint to shade his cape and it came out way too dark. I cleaned it up significantly with more Screaming Skull, but it's still starker than I would like. From a distance it looks fine. Kind of like the shading in cartoons.

I'm excited to use this guy in a game now. Everyone on the internet claims that BroCaps are almost mandatory for a competitive Grey Knights list, which I don't understand. Doubling the ranges of our smites is nice, yes, but do I really want to hold a 205 point unit of Terminators in the backfield just so they can smite for 1 mortal wound and shit out a ton of storm bolter shots? I'm paying for their melee weapons so I want to use them.

Honestly, that might be a tactical failing on my part. Grey Knight midrange shooting is good and I should lean into that. That 205 point squad of Terminators fires 20 shots! Maybe they'd do better sitting in cover and trying to pick off assholes from a distance.

But also force swords are really cool and I want my guys to be up in melee.

No comments:

Post a Comment