Thursday, January 23, 2020

My LVO List in Pictures

My whole army

I fly down to Las Vegas tomorrow. Two of my friends flew down today, and their armies made it fine! Hopefully my silver boys will weather the journey in one piece as well. I'm way excited to meet new hobbyists and play against armies I've never faced before (although I'm aware it'll be mostly Space Marines). In preparation, I've taken pictures of all of the units in my list.


Grand Master Elion Simandus (Draigo counts-as)
Simandus is the big man of my Brotherhood. Usually I run him as a Grand Master and as the Warlord, but Draigo is too good not to bring along. Unfortunately, Draigo's mandatory Warlord Trait is so aggressively shitty that I couldn't bear to make Simandus my Warlord. Fluff-wise, this is fine. While the Grand Masters are the representatives of their respective Brotherhoods, the actual leadership and tactics are duties of the Brother-Captains. Simandus is supervising.



Brother-Captain Zar Nayal
BroCap Nayal is leading my forces this time around. He is my Warlord, rocking First to the Fray because it is the only WT worth taking. He isn't taking any relics and I've outfitted him with a regular old Nemesis Force Sword. I know that swords aren't the most competitive choice, but it looks really rad and that matters to me.



Grand Master Gaius Ekrion
Ekrion has been a mainstay in my army for a very long time. This model was the first conversion and paintjob that I was genuinely proud of. I'll often make him my Warlord, but he always gets fucked right out of the gate and I always end up giving Slay the Warlord to my opponent immediately. Instead, Grand Master Ekrion is starting on the field as part of the Dreadknight strike team that will be the vanguard of my army. He will always be rocking Sanctuary, because having a 3++ invuln makes this dude an absolute monster.



Brotherhood Ancient Drai Telusad
I just finished this guy up the other day. I had a Brotherhood Ancient in my list already, but he was wielding a Nemesis Falchion which brought my list up to 2001 points. Thus, I kitbashed and painted Ancient Telusad with naught but a storm bolter. He will be carrying the relic for my games, the ever present Banner of Refining Flame.



Terminator Squad Fortis, led by Justicar Emory
One of my three Terminator Squads, Fortis does work with their Nemesis Force Halberds. I throw these guys at MEQs and they tend to just annihilate them. If I see Primaris Marines humping an objective, Emory and his men are headed their way.



Terminator Squad Viscerion, led by Justicar Cassius
My falchion squad. I've had these guys for a very long time--you can tell by their paintjob. They occupy a weird niche now that falchions cost twice as much as every other Nemesis weapon. They used to be my best squad before Shock Assault happened, and now I'm not so sure. I've never been much of a Mathhammer person, but their four S4 attacks on the charge don't seem to be as potent as Squad Fortis's three S5 attacks. Viscerion still shreds chaff, though. If I face Tyranids or Guard, I'm going to throw these boys at them so fast.



Terminator Squad Archaeus, led by Justicar Warren
A couple years back a friend of mine who has since moved away gave me a squad of metal Terminators. He's been in the hobby for a thousand years, and he was very excited for me to be getting into the Grey Knights. All of the members of Squad Archaeus are pewter, with the exception of the Justicar who is plastic. This squad has a weird mix of swords and halberds and I never know quite what to do with them. There's no role that they occupy really well. But I miss that friend of mine dearly so I bring these hefty metal lads to almost every game I play.



Nemesis Dreadknight - Brother Vallant
This model has the unique distinction of being the first vehicle I ever assembled. He's put together with superglue, of all things. I built him way back when I was first getting into the hobby and Dreadknights sucked ass, and I never painted him. He only received his colors recently and I'm pretty happy with how he looks. His loadout is a little eclectic (which is common for first models), and I usually just run him upfield and let him take a lot of bullets. He's good at that.



Nemesis Dreadknight - Brother Ictus
That's right: I'm running two Dreadknights in my LVO list! I outfit Brother Ictus here with a Heavy Incinerator and the Vortex of Doom psychic power. Very regularly I run him forward and just have him melt whatever frontline units he encounters, and he usually does a pretty good job. His fists net him 6 attacks on the charge, which isn't insignificant. He does the same job as Brother Vallant, but much more effectively and producing significantly more threat. He rarely survives turn one, but he always takes something down with him.



Venerable Dreadnought - Honored Brother Ewan
He has risen from the dead! Honored Brother Ewan used to wield dual twin-autocannons back before Legends was a thing, and I surrendered him to the Dead Fields to rest in silence. But then the clarion call of LVO sounded, and Brother Ewan found himself a Legitimate Loadout consisting of a freshly painted lascannon and one of his fellow Dreadnought's spare missile launchers. Now he is back in the fray and ready to snipe vehicles with Astral Aim!



Paladin Squad Bellerophon, led by Justicar Astrus
This is my trump card. My ace in the hole. My DL-44 that I keep under the table until I blast Greedo into slag. Seven Paladins with halberds, two with warding staves, and the Justicar with a hammer. These glorious shiny boys have taken down two Knights in the span of a single turn. But if they touch down in the wrong spot they are usually torn apart by high volumes of low AP fire. Where I place them on turn two largely determines whether or not I win a game. Zero exaggeration--these guys are the strongest moving piece in my list.


I'm excited for Vegas this weekend. I'm not expecting too much from a competitive standpoint. Grey Knights are still... not good. But! I'm looking forward to facing new opponents and meeting other passionate hobbyists. My boxing coach told me that if I win exactly one game this weekend, then he'll be proud.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My first game is in an hour, so I'll let you know later today! Check back in!

      Delete