Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Painting Force Swords with Contrast?

My force swords are very boring. I just do a quick Stormfang Silver basecoat, slap on some Guilliman Blue glaze, and then highlight the edges with more Stormfang. It works, but the effect is not incredibly exciting and it risks being lost in the other shiny aspects of my army.

Recently my brother (who plays Chaos) started painting his Tzeentch daemons with Contrast paints. Most notably, he's started wet blending with Contrast and it has produced some really cool effects on his daemons. I thought I'd try that out on a force sword and see if I could get the blending to work.


Important to note that I don't have a ton of experience with blending. It's just not a part of the hobby I've braved yet. That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of how this sword turned out. The fading effect kind of works, but the lighter parts aren't light enough and the darker parts aren't dark enough.


For contrast, here's the other side of the sword done in my traditional style. This was way less work and honestly doesn't look terrible.

I've painted a few force swords with airbrushes and those always look beautiful, but it is a hard effect to replicate for me. I think I'll experiment more with using Contrast; maybe it's just a case of me having to find the right colors and consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment